Sunday, August 31, 2008

130 - Quiet ,Please: Dispatches From a Public Librarian; Scott Douglas

I love libraries and was really looking forward to this memoir.

In Quiet Please: Dispatches From a Public Librarian by Scott Douglas, the author was a college student who liked books and needed a job, so he became a page (shelving books) at the Anaheim Public Library. Lacking better career plans, he accepted a state grant to get a degree in library science. In this memoir, Douglas reports on the types of individuals that frequent the library. He focuses on teens, homeless people, crazy people and the elderly. His stories about what he has encountered working in the library are so funny. I thought his comments about his coworkers, and about librarians not being readers to be very humorous as well. The chapters were numbered (using the Dewey Decimal System) which I found to be very clever. My only complaint was that some of the writing seemed to be scattered; just as I was enjoying a few passages the subject matter seemed to shift completely. All in all this was as enjoyable memoir.

RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 8/31/08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.