Wednesday, September 3, 2008

133 - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society; Shaffer and Barrows


At first glance I passed on reading this book until people began to rave about it. I think it was the title that made me think it might be silly; I'm glad I gave it a try. I loved the book but I do think it is the type of book that would not appeal to most men. I found this epistolary novel to be charming and sweet. It had me grabbing for the post it notes to jot down a passage or two along the way.

The novel unfolds in 1946 London. A writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next project after the war. Juliet lost her home and her possessions which included a cherished book collection. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from a resident of Guernsey, named Dawsey Adams. Dawsey tells her that he owns a book by Charles Lamb that once belonged to Juliet. Although she is intrigued by this, it is his comments about a roast pig bringing about the start of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society that makes her want to learn more. Juliet begins to correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their love of literature, and the impact the war has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, an unforgettable island, and what she finds changes her forever.


I was touched by the charming inhabitants of this unforgettable island who turned to literature in terrible times. Animal lovers beware there are a few references in the book which really upset me. Despite this, I am still happy that I read this book.

RATING - 4.5/5 - COMPLETED - 9/3/08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.