Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday: Into the Beautiful North



This weeks can't wait to read pick is:

Into the Beautiful North: A Novel;Luis Alberto Urrea
Pub. Date: May 19, 2009

From Amazon:
Nayeli, the Taqueria worker of Urrea's fine new novel (after The Hummingbird's Daughter), is a young woman in the poor but tight-knit coastal Mexican town of Tres Camarones who spends her days serving tacos and helping her feisty aunt Irma get elected as the town's first female mayor. Abandoned by her father who headed north for work years before, Nayeli is hit with the realization that her hometown is all but abandoned by men, leaving it at the mercy of drug gangsters. So Nayeli hatches an elaborate scheme inspired by The Magnificent Seven: with three friends, she heads north to find seven Mexican men and smuggle them back into Mexico to protect the town. What she discovers along the way, of course, surprises her. Urrea's poetic sensibility and journalistic eye for detail in painting the Mexican landscape and sociological complexities create vivid, memorable scenes. Though the Spanglish can be tough for the uninitiated to detangle, the colorful characters, strong narrative and humor carry this surprisingly uplifting and very human story.

What's your pick?

6 comments:

  1. This one sounds very interesting - I'm going to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this one mentioned somewhere else too and it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my TBR. Now I'm even more interested in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of the book. It does sound like a good one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this one in a giveaway somewhere, and it does look very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.