Monday, April 13, 2009

59 - Pursuit; Karen Robards


I have been a fan of Karen Robards for several years, but I was a bit disappointed by a few of her more recent books, so I was not sure what to expect of her latest: Pursuit, which was recently released.
In this story the reader is introduced to Jessica Ford, an ambitious young lawyer working for at a large firm in Washington, D.C. One evening Jessica gets a call from her boss, John Davenport, who is a good friend, and personal attorney to the First Lady, Annette Cooper. Since her boss has had a bit too much to drink he sends Jessica out to meet the First Lady at a hotel, where she is trying to hide from the Secret Service for some reason.
Jessica, the First Lady, and two others, later that evening are in a car accident, in which everyone in the car except Jessica was killed-- including the First Lady. Critically injured, Jessica is in the hospital, and cannot recall the details about the accident. What she does fear is that someone is now trying to kill her, beginning with an incident in the hospital. Was it really an accident? Why is someone trying to kill Jessica, and just who can she trust? Someone believes that she knows more than she should about the First Lady and her death, and is determined to keep Jessica quiet.
This book was a wonderful page turner and was on its way to getting a "highly recommended" rating from me. Unfortunately, the author, decided to add a "hot and heavy" mutual attraction between Jessica and Mark Ryan, a Secret Service Agent, and it seemed totally unrealistic in a story like this where the Jessica was constantly running for her life. It was still a very good thriller, but no longer deserving of a perfect rating in my opinion.
RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 4/13/09
WHERE FROM: Library

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of Karen Robards book. I am glad this one turned out to be better than the last few you read. It does sound like it would be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the romance element was totally unnecessary in this case. Maybe she felt she had to hit all the targets in the book, including romance. I probably won't read this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a chance to give this author a try yet but I'll add her to my TBR list. It does sound interesting and I always enjoy a good page turner :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.