Tuesday, February 16, 2010

24 - The Girl Who Chased the Moon; Sarah Addison Allen








I was thrilled to have had the opportunity to receive an advance reader edition of: The Girl Who Chased the Moon. I was a big fan of the author's two earlier books: Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen. I am happy to report this book was another magical treat.

After the loss of her mother, seventeen year old Emily Benedict returns to her mother's hometown of Mullaby, NC. Emily is determined to find out more about her mother's past, and why she vowed never to return to her childhood home. From the moment she arrives, she learns that perhaps unraveling her mother's past will not be an easy task. Why didn't Emily's mother tell her that she had a grandfather, Vance, (eight feet tall) who still resides in Mullaby? Vance, a quiet and gentle man, begins to shed some light on Emily's mother, who also lost her own mother when she was only twelve years old. Those who do talk about her mother Dulcie Shelby, have negative things to say about her. Emily learns that her mother was very popular in high school, was given everything she wanted, and that others followed her lead. Her directives to others, however, were often acts that hurt other classmates, and for that reason Emily is resented in this town.

Julia Winterson is another character who returns to Mullaby after 18 years. Her father has passed away, and Julie needs to get his affairs in order. She spends her time baking beautiful and sometimes magical cakes and sweets. However, behind this facade Julie is haunted by decisions she made in the past when she was a young girl, and she quickly learns that it is not always possible to leave the past behind. Julie was one of the victims of Dulcie's hurtful pranks, but yet she finds it in her heart to befriend Emily.

Both stories are magical, and cleverly woven together. There is a family that never goes out after dark, wallpaper changes from lilacs to butterflies, and unexplained lights that dance in the dark at midnight.

MY THOUGHTS: This book was very good, magical yes, silly no. The authors skillful use of imagery, creates a fast moving and sometimes poignant tale about how complicated life and love can sometimes be. The ending led me to believe a sequel might be possible.
RECOMMENDED  (4/5 stars)

(Review copy was received free through the Amazon Vine program)

26 comments:

  1. I loved Garden Spells and I've The Sugar Queen in my pile, so I'm definitely adding this onto my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've got to read this since there's a character named Vance - that's my son's name. It's actually a great North Carolina name. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I immediately thought of your son when reading this book, as you've mentioned his name on occasion...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I mentioned I can't wait? 'Cause I can't wait! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed her other two books and I cannot wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such an awesome book. I still haven't read the author's earlier books but I do want to. Thank you for your wonderful review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is there never enough time to read all that I want to. This sounds great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked this one! I won it from LibraryThing Early Reviewer's but I haven't received it yet. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did! I liked The Sugar Queen so I'm thinking I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so envious that you got to read it first. I loved both Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen and just can't wait for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be back to read this again after I've read the book. I just skimmed to see if you liked it or not. Glad to see you did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like where you said "Magical, yes. Silly, no." The cover draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magical without being silly? Who can resist that! :-) It sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any Sarah Addison Allen, but I keep meaning to. I'm so glad to know you enjoyed all of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know she had a new one out! It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad to hear this book was good! I've been waiting for a review of this book to see whether I should add it to my wishlist or not and now I know I should!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you found yourself an author to follow!!! I'll have to check her books out. I do like magic realism sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is fun. I just read amelia's review of the sugar queen -- interesting. may be an author for me...if I stop reading blogs long enough to read literature of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also loved Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen. I have had her 3rd book pre-ordered for months and can't wait to get it. She is a terrific writer and story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe it, you already read this one! I have been wanting this one... :(

    I am totally envious of u :P

    I am glad this one doesn't fail!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad to hear you liked this since it arrived in my mail recently.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So jealous! Her first two books were my top picks in the years they were published. Can't wait to get ahold of this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the recommendation. I was not sure if this book was for me, but I think that now I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am jealous of anyone who got ARCs of this book! Can't wait to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am SO loolking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have heard such good things about this author and her work, but have not yet read any of her books. Perhaps it's time that I gave in and tried something. It sounds as though you loved this book. Great review, I will be looking out for a book by this author!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have the two earlier books in my TBR and this one sounds so good too. I love the teaser in your previous post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.