Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cat in the Manger; Michael Foreman


Title: Cat in the Manger
Author and Illustrator:  Michael Foreman 
Publication Year: 2001 
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company 
Edition: Hardcover
Source: Library 
Date Completed: 12/16/2011 
Rating: 4/5 
Recommend: yes 


A charming Christmas story told from a barn cat’s point of view. The cat, who lives in a barn with other animals, is all prepared to curl up in a warm spot for the night when some unexpected visitors arrive and need a place to stay.  Although initially the animals seem a bit upset by their routine being disturbed, they soon all come together to experience the wonderful event that is about to take place that night.  Complete with three "masters" (kings), camels, and an array of other barnyard animals, Cat in the Manager, is a charming story about the Nativity, yet it never mentions, Mary, Joseph or Baby Jesus by name. 

The watercolor illustrations were lovely; a unique take on the Nativity told from the perspective of a cat.

6 comments:

  1. WOW, yes, I had forgotten all about that one. Thanks for reminding me, it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a sweet book, but I can't help thinking that I would be bothered by the failure to mention Mary, Joseph, and Jesus by name. Aren't they kind of the point of the Nativity story? =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it would be an interesting Christmas read, and though I do think it's a little strange that none of the players are mentioned by name, it does sound like a touching read. Great review on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delightful. Another one to recommend to my friend for her grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the twist on the Nativity story and the watercolor looks wonderful! Makes me wish I was artistic!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.