Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along. This week's "intro" is from a review copy, so please realize that the final copy could be different.

January 23, 2012 - WW Norton Co
(ARTHUR) 

"The first thing you must know about me is that I am colossally fat. When I knew you I was what one might call plump but I am no longer plump.  I eat what I want & furthermore I eat whatever I want.  For years I have made very little effort to reduce the amount that I eat for I have seen no cause to.  Despite this I am neither immobile nor bedridden but I do feel winded when I walk more than six or seven steps, & I do feel very shy and sort of encased in something as if I were a cello or an expensive gun.

 
"I have no way of knowing exactly what I weigh but I estimate that it is between five and six hundred pounds. The last time I went to a doctor's office was years ago and back then I weighed four hundred eighty pounds and they had to put me on a special scale.  The doctor looked at me & told me I was surely on a path toward early death."

Would you continue reading this one? I definitely plan to, but am curious why (even through it is and ARC) that both "and", and the ampersand..." &" were used in the first two paragraphs?

24 comments:

  1. I have this one on my TBR list. I would keep reading it!

    Here's mine: http://lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com/2011/12/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I'd read this one - though I'd love to read a review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny that you noticed the and plus the ampersand. I skimmed right over it. The book sounds interesting, although it might make me eat more while I read it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt I'd keep reading this one. Very interesting both 'and' and '&' are in the first paragraph. Wonder if it will be changed in the finished product...

    Here's my Tuesday Intro:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2011/12/tuesday-intro-howards-end-is-on-landing.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep reading too. Your paragraph's definitely hooked me.

    My post is up now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be very interested in reading this book. Hope you're having a good week so far. The sun is shining in this part of Virginia. I'll be wrapping up and going out to enjoy it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This one sounds as fascinating as watching a train wreck...in other words, I would keep reading!

    Great cover, too.

    Here's
    MY TT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this one sounds sort of disturbing, but I would continue to read it based on those first paragraphs. I wounder what you will think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ". . . a cello or an expensive gun"? Since I've been fighting a weight problem all my adult life, I don't know if this would be horrible or an incentive to stay on my never-ending diet. :) Truly, I don't think I would read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so good. Reminds me of one of my short stories, Substitute. Would really like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure about this book. I would definitely look it up and read a summary of it which, hopefully, help me decide if I want to read more of this book.

    The use of '&' and 'and' is interesting. I wonder if it's intentional or a proofreading issue....although it seems intentional since the use goes by paragraph.
    Very interesting!

    My First Chapter is posted:
    Amy's FCFPTI 12.13.11

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure I'd read this one . . . My intro comes from a story about Santa's Reindeer. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course I would read this. Grabbed me right off. Great pick.

    This week is #2 in the Crasher/NTSB series by Dana Haynes

    Breaking Point

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would keep reading. The cover makes it look like something has happened.

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I would read that one, but I would probably have a snack instead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beginning! This one had me at the first paragraph. Going to add it to me TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this book! Liz Moore shows us the tender side of several people who we might "overlook" in our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry, this one doesn't really appeal to me.

    I do like this meme of yours, Diane, I hope you're going to continue it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would keep reading, am looking forward to your review

    here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not sure if this is one I'd pick up or not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would definitely want to read this … but the use of the ampersand is odd.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this one a whle back and was intrigued by it. I would read it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been waiting for this one; I'm first on the library hold list. I never know when reading ARCs how many of the grammatical oddities will make it into the finished product. This does seem strange -- the use of both.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.