Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday


 Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick:

 The Land of Decoration; Grace McCleen
Henry Holt Co - March 2012

A mesmerizing debut about a young girl whose steadfast belief and imagination bring everything she once held dear into treacherous balance

In Grace McCleen's harrowing, powerful debut, she introduces an unforgettable heroine in ten-year-old Judith McPherson, a young believer who sees the world with the clear Eyes of Faith. Persecuted at school for her beliefs and struggling with her distant, devout father at home, young Judith finds solace and connection in a model in miniature of the Promised Land that she has constructed in her room from collected discarded scraps—the Land of Decoration. Where others might see rubbish, Judith sees possibility and divinity in even the strangest traces left behind. As ominous forces disrupt the peace in her and Father's modest lives—a strike threatens her father's factory job, and the taunting at school slips into dangerous territory—Judith makes a miracle in the Land of Decoration that solidifies her blossoming convictions. She is God's chosen instrument. But the heady consequences of her newfound power are difficult to control and may threaten the very foundations of her world.

With its intensely taut storytelling and crystalline prose, The Land of Decoration is a gripping, psychologically complex story of good and evil, belonging and isolation, which casts new and startling light on how far we'll go to protect the things we love most.


13 comments:

  1. Sounds good!
    Merry Christmas, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this one sounds great! I love stories about how a retreat into another kind of world offers solace. In this story, it sounds like dangerous events are unleashed, which also piques my interest.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very powerful. I just finished Untouchable by Scott O'Connor with some horrible bullying at school. It just got me so mad at the bullies and I felt so bad for the "Kid". No one even used his name, he was just "The Kid". Sad but emotional story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this one sounds ominous and intricate, and like something that I would really love. Thanks for the heads up on this one! I need to grab a copy when I can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds very interesting indeed! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This feature always makes me realize how "reactive" I am. I never know what I should read until I see reviews :) But I love seeing what everyone is waiting for. This one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fascinating, I only hope the author can pull off the 'voice' of a ten year old girl realistically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww that one sounds really good! Great pick!

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a 'must'. Will definitely put it on my 'books for after Christmas' list! Thank you for letting us know of its existence. It is often quite hard to decide on books, especially as I live in a non English speaking country so have to rely on getting books online, rather than browsing shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I seem to be continually behind and frantically catching up these days, I'd better take advantage of this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds awesome. It's definitely going on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the way this one sounds!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.