Friday, September 20, 2013

A Street Cat Names Bob: And How He Saved My Life ; James Bowen


Author: James Bowen 
Publication Year:  2013
Publisher:  St. Martin's Press
Edition: hardcover
Source: Library
Date Completed: Sept - 2013
Rating: 4/5

Some of you may already by familiar with " Bob, the now famous, UK street-cat ". He's has a YouTube Video, and now even a book about him and his owner James Bowen. Cat lover that I am, I hadn't heard about Bob until I came across this book on Amazon

James Bowen came from a wealthy family, but found himself on a downward spiral. A down and out street musician, he was arrested for petty theft, and addicted to drugs. Trying to turn his life around, he was barely earning enough money to get by. He was living in a run down, supported housing unit in London. He earned money playing his guitar on the streets of London, while tourists and others threw cash into his opened guitar case.

One day in 2007, returning to his flat, he noticed a ginger cat inside his building curled on a doormat.  The next day the cat was still there and appeared to be sick and had an injured leg as well. The cat follows James to his flat, and while he tries to nurse the cat back to health, but realizes that the cat needs the expertise of a veterinarian. The local RSPCA  helps to pay for neutering and medical expenses and before long the cat was well and ready to return to the streets where he had come from.  

The cat, however, wanted no part of the outside cruel world again, and took a liking to James. The cat, named Bob by James, finally had a home, and became like a shadow of James. This cat, honestly, behaved more like a dog than a cat. Extremely loyal, he accompanied his new owner on his daily street gigs, and while James played the guitar, Bob slept in the guitar case in the sun. Other times he posed on his owner's shoulder and entertained tourists on the streets of London. James also saw his daily financial take more than double once Bob was in the picture.

Bob and James needed each other and the relationship that developed was truly amazing.  Each gets a second chance at life. This is their story.  

The book was very enjoyable --- nothing bad happens at the end.  It's a story that will appeal to animal lovers everywhere and not just cat lovers.  At times I felt that certain things about James' life seemed very repetitive, but I was still happy that I got a chance to read their story.  Bob is one unique cat, who has shown his appreciation for his new chance at life in ways that just made me smile.  It's a great story about positive impact an animal can make in our lives - READ IT.

9 comments:

  1. This is on my TBR list. Will probably start reading this next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that one is really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would completely have walked right past this one on a shelf - I just never can get into animal books. But this sounds like a lovely story of redemption for both James and Bob and since we've got a cat that sort of thinks he's a dog, too, I think I'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cat named Bob already, just looking at him perched on his human's shoulder. How lovely that they could 'save' each other, and for so many years I thought cats were uncaring. Until I found two of my own whom I seem to love deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, I'm a cat lover too and sometimes my cats act more like dogs too. I'd probably enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe the resemblance of this Bob to my Bob and the fact that both were living on the street. I'm so happy Bob and James found each other and I'm looking forward to reading their story. Thanks for telling about this book, Diane. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the premise of the story, and am glad Bob and his owner are both in a safe place in life now. I love animals, have dogs and cats myself, but sometimes animal tales are depressing (the animal usually suffers and dies). Perhaps I will check this out further--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read stories about animals and pets. I'm not sure why since I love animals. What a very sweet story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.