Tuesday, June 23, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Best Boy; Eli Gotlieb

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

Best Boy; Eli Gottlieb
Liveright - W.W. Norton - 2015

Part ONE

ONE

"PAYTON LIVING CENTER WAS THE SIXTH PLACE IN a row Momma had taken me but neither of us knew it was the one where I'd stay forever and ever.

My darling manzipan, I'm just so sure you're going to be happy here, she said that day with her red mouth that never stopped talking.

Then she started crying.  It was raining, We were sitting in the parked car and I touched the glass of the window that was clear as air.  Rain was exploding silently on the other side and this scared me."

What do you think -- keep reading or pass?
(feel free to join in by posting your link below0



21 comments:

  1. I am definitely curious about this one. Thanks for sharing...and hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad! It sounds sad. I haven't heard of this one, but I do like the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An intriguing opening - it sounds so very sad (and good) I want to know more from that opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely keep reading. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 7th blogiversary of the other day!

    And what an intriguing opening, so sad and also scary, it certainly makes me want to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested enough to keep reading -- I'd like to know why he's being taken to a living center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has me interested, too... sounds sad, but I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds sad. I'd keep reading to find out what happens to the boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a little bit about this book and already had it on my list. Yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this one and I like the intro! I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am intrigued enough to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though the opening is sad, it makes me want to read more! Also, I like the cover of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, I don't know. Maybe! I'm curious about why he can't find a place to stay.

    Happy 7th blogoversary, Diane, and happy retirement too! Hope you're doing well (sounds like you are!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...that is a great teaser! I really want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd keep reading this one. It sounds interesting even from the beginning. Beautiful cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would keep reading. I like the hint of family drama.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the writing style of the author, definitely enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds so sad, and then the title?? Best Boy??? What is the connection? I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like an emotional story, and it had me hooked until the third paragraph. I'm not sure the style of writing will keep me invested. I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.