Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Bookish Habits



Ti@Book Chatter came up with a fun post about reader's quirks and habits, saying, "We all have them, don’t we?"  Feel free to share your own "bookish habits" with the reading community.
Here are a few of my bookish habits. Feel free to add yours in comments!
  1. Pristine books or eBooks only. After working in libraries for nearly 15 years, I've found some pretty disgusting things in well-read books.
  2. Cover freak here - I've purchased  books with gorgeous art work even if it'll stay on my shelf unread for some time.
  3. Kindle paper white reading in bed each night. It's easy on the eyes and I don't need to have a light on in the room.
  4. Quirky memoirs, stories about dysfunctional families, school or campus settings are always books I'll eagerly try.
  5. Favorite reading spots - my reading loft with comfy oversized chair and the perfect reading lamp for aging eyes.
  6. Reading Companions - one or two lap cats in colder weather, and a soft, plush throw.
  7. I always have my reading journal or at my side to make notes or jot quotes as I read. When not at home sometimes I'll just place sticky-notes inside the book and leave the journal at home.
  8. Print Books or eBooks - I love both for different reasons.  If I own the physical book, I still try to download the eBook from the library if it's not already on my Kindle so that I don't have to tote a book when on the go. It's also a must for bedtime reading.
  9. I use mechanical pencils to mark paragraphs and underline passages. Occasionally I've used pen - gasp.
  10. I am obsessed with a Little Free Library in my daughter's town. I drop off all of my read books or books I no longer want there.  I do this every week except in winter as they remove it in winter to preserve it from the elements.
  11. I almost NEVER keep a book I've read, (unless it's an eBook). The exception this year was, A Little Life, Yanagihara, a book that moved me, shook me and one I'd want to read again.
  12. I usually drink tea, coffee or water when I read, but never eat while reading.
  13. I have at least (10) unused book journals and dozens of special pens in a variety of colors designated for book journaling.
  14. I've pretty much stopped buying physical books (there will be rare exceptions), and I've donated over 400 books in the last 5 years.  My physical library is now down to about 400 unread books. I'd like to donate about 50 more books by the end of 2015. I have about 1000 eBooks on my Kindle currently. Most were free to me, but I have purchased some in the past.
  15. This might be a huge mistake but, I value the opinions of other readers a lot. I donate unread books based on average reviews. If the average review is not 4/5 stars the book gets donated when trying to cull a large collection.
  16. I have spreadsheets for physical books, and spreadsheets for eBooks.
  17. I no longer listen to books on cd. I love audio books but will only listen to ones I can download directly to my iPhone these days.
  18. I need to read in a quiet room (no distractions, no music). I've tried coffee shops, but I'm a people watcher so that doesn't work for me, the beach is hard for this reason as well.
  19. I've always wanted to be a part of a book group, but until last month I hadn't found a good one. I'm happy to say I think that's changed.
  20. I NEVER go into a new book blind, I always read the overview from back cover or dust jacket before starting a new book.
Your turn to share your own "bookish habits" with us readers.

32 comments:

  1. I subscribe to a number of "free and low-cost Kindle books" so I'm never getting my TBR to zero. And I'm ok with that. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LuAnn, tI think here is something great about having all those eBooks and not feeling guilty about them as they don't take up physical shelf space.

      Delete
  2. #1 and #2 are definitely true for me. I admire you for being able to part with your physical books, one of my habits is probably holding on to books I've already read forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to this one: Quirky memoirs, stories about dysfunctional families, school or campus settings are always books I'll eagerly try.
    And I'm also a Kindle Paperwhite reader...before bed and all other times as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I do like reading on my iPad mini by day indoors - something about the variety of highlighting colors:)

      Delete
  4. Ditto for #s 1 and 2. I need my books in good shape, and try to avoid cracking the spine (sometimes works, sometimes not). And a good cover... will get me every time. :)

    I also but a lot of e- books, which I never did, but if it's a book I really want or like I'll buy iy so I have a copy on my shelf. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Greg. I've always been a nut about clean books even as a kid (but I'm not a germ-a phob) LOL

      Delete
  5. #2 for me. Actually, you've got me reading the 1st paragraph and then deciding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten rid of unread books because the first 2 chapters didn't do it for me - too many books too little time.

      Delete
  6. I think the biggest difference between us (beyond my reluctance to truly embrace ebooks) is the not keeping read books--I donate and use paperbackswap for some, but if I love I book I usually figure out how to keep it.

    I've come to rely a lot on fellow readers' recommendations, which is why it's important that people are honest on GoodReads!

    I like the idea of a book journal--will have to maybe give that a try. I use my iphone to take notes, but that doesn't always work.

    Interesting--thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - I rely on Goodreads reviews as well and bloggers as well. I like the book journal (1) per year usually does it for me.

      I sometimes take pics of passages from my phone if I am without pen or paper.

      Delete
  7. This is an interesting list because I'm the opposite to you on several of them #1 I prefer a scruffy book as I hate the guilt of damaging a book myself! #2 I don't care what the cover looks like! #9 I never mark books - instead I'll make notes in a draft blog post (or on scraps of paper if I'm out) #20 I try to go into books as blind as possible - so you see we're surprisingly different :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Jackie as often like the same books, but obviously thats where our bookish habits end LOL

      Delete
  8. I have to always be listening to something while I read, whether it be an album, the podcasts I have on my iTunes account or to an audiobook of the book I am reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not me, I need silence, the same was true when I was in college and needed to study.

      Delete
  9. Best of luck on your goal to donate 50 more books by years end! I love the ease of downloading audiobooks to my iPod! I like to people watch too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I are alike on number 4 for sure! We have a Little Free Library in our neighborhood that I help keep stocked. My mom & sister love thrift stores and will buy books at them. I'll only buy a used book if it looks like it's brand new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I've purchased used books at library book sales etc - but -- they must be like new. Gotta love the "Leave a book, take a book spirit".

      Delete
  11. Diane, I share some of your bookish habits, but I do not keep track of my books on a spreadsheet (I probably should), and I keep most of my books. Fun and interesting post! I enjoy reading about books and reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing - if I didn't keep a spread sheet I'd never be able to keep tabs and remember what I had for eBooks since their tucked away in the clouds LOL

      Delete
  12. In regards to your number 1, I can relate! I am reading a print book right now that my father-in-law borrowed before I had a chance to read it. Ugh. I wish I'd refused to let him read it. Your #14 is true for me too. I rarely buy print books anymore. After having given away so many before and then again after our move for years ago, I like the idea of not having overflowing shelves. I still have a lot of books though. I'm not prone to giving away books unless I didn't care for them easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope no one ever asks me to borrow a new book, before I've read it. I'd gladly give it to them afterward, and think I'd probably say I need to read it for a group but they can have it in a month or so LOL (

      Delete
  13. I agree with most of these, especially about the pristine books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something about cracking open a brand new book makes the reading experience that much better.

      Delete
  14. 1, 2, and 3 - yes, yes, and yes!. It's been a long time since I listened to an audio CD, too...love having audiobooks on my phone, This was a fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes to most of these! Except my reading buddies are birds and I tend to keep way too many books. It's time for serious purge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes to most of these! Except my reading buddies are birds and I tend to keep way too many books. It's time for serious purge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane, you just inspired me to post a list of my bookish Habits over at fromtheoldfrontporch.blogspot. com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a fun post to read and ponder! I agree with you about listening to cds vs. downloading, although I had to break down and get the cds for The Martian since my library doesn't have the rights for the downloadable version. Makes it much more difficult to listen to since my computer doesn't have a cd drive to transfer the book to my Nano. So, I only listen in the car!

    I'm also whittling down my stacks and getting rid of books that don't grab me right away. I may have wanted to read them 10 years ago, but now they have no appeal. I'm also getting rid of the books I've read unless they are so moving/powerful that I hope to re-read them some day. For the first time in YEARS, my shelves are beginning to show some space. It's rather refreshing!

    I hope you enjoy your new book club! I miss being in one, but then again, I like to read what I want and not have an "assigned" book. :)

    Have a good weekend, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so much fun to read! You have 1000 books on your Kindle?! And I feel overwhelmed by the 75 I have on mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.