Tuesday, November 3, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Pursuit of Other Interests; Jim Kokoris


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

(After loving this author's newest book: It's. Nice. Outside., I decided to borrow one of his earlier books from the library).

St. Martin's Press - 2009

Chapter One

"He was doing his deep breathing techniques when his heart stopped again.  The purpose of the exercises was to lower his heart rate, but apparently he had mastered the technique so well, he was almost killing himself.  Lying on his back in his bed, nothing beating inside of him, he waited for darkness and then the revealing white light.  Instead he felt something kick in, felt life rush through him, an electric, hot current.  He sat up gasping for air, his hands at his throat."

What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?


25 comments:

  1. I've never read this author before, so I would give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new-to-me author, but one I should explore. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The body's natural reflex to survive kicking in. :-) I like this intro--the narrative voice. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent description of a terrifying experience! I'd keep reading to find out what happened next to this character.
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is one shocking opening - I definitely need to know what happens next now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that's an intense opening you've got! I'm thinking that's a heart-attack, which is of course rather terrible. but I love the description of life zipping back into him! Thanks for sharing and hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree -- intense. I would read more; I want to know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great hook! I'd definitely continue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious by the intro and I like the cover...I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be in the minority and pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a new author to me, too.I found the intro kind of scary. I'd read on to see if this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover makes it look quirky and the intro is fun too. Hope you enjoy it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one powerful opener! I have to know what's going to happen next. I'd like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the title and the cover. The intro is intense, but I would give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even without reading the blurb, the opening grabs me. Usually, that's not the case, but this leads to so many interesting questions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me laugh so yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds quite interesting. I would read on. Hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am pulled in... so yeah, I'd read on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd read more to find out what the H is going on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This got my interest and I would read on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.