Tuesday, November 10, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Small Blessings; Martha Woodroof


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.


Small Blessings; Martha Woodroof
St. Martin's Press - 2015

Chapter 1

"There she was, as welcome in this insular community as fresh air in a multiplex, a woman who, rumor had it, risked being happy.  Tom had heard the most about her from Russell Jacobs, his colleague in the English Department, and now he was looking at her in the flesh, at this tall, slender, dark-haired creature, oddly stylish in her ill-fitting, baggy trousers and white T-shirt.

She stood not twenty feet away from him in the new coffee room, listening attentively to Russ, had glommed on to the Book Store's new assistant director as soon as she'd set foot on campus.  For Tom it was a moment to treasure.  Here at this isolated seat of southern learning, where everyone clung to busy-ness as though it were proof of an importance in the larger, more meaningful world, was a person who dared to seem relaxed, as though she had time to draw breath and listen to what someone was saying and even think about it for a moment or two. Imagine that!"

What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?



26 comments:

  1. I read this one a while ago and enjoyed it. Hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great news Laurel, as we often have similar taste in books.

      Delete
  2. She does sound like a a breath of fresh air, the way she is described. I wouldn't mind someone entering my life who is like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Wendy, that is what I was thinking - I need a friend like her.

      Delete
  3. I like the feel the author has created in these two paragraphs. Book and author are new to me so I'm curious. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to have this book cross my path - anxious to begin.

      Delete
  4. Diane,
    This is an excellent intro--I'd read more for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that opening, I love the tone when describing other people's busyness in contrast to her calm... I do hope the rest of the book is as satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bit about risking to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, many of us are so afraid to put ourselves out there.

      Delete
  7. Would definitely read more. I like the way she is described.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this was a fun read. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has possibilities. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd read more. Small blessings should always be celebrated, I think. This book is new to me, but I am going to watch for it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like it might be a bit of a feel good read and that is always a good thing. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd continue reading---I'm really into women's fiction lately. It sounds like something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm not sure about this one. Hasn't grabbed me I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might read it. I do enjoy a woman who dares to go for happiness, but I think I'd need to know more about what was to come...

    My post is here if you're interested! http://www.bookpunks.com/so-it-begins-timebomb-by-scott-k-andrews/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This appeals to me, especially with the book store setting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.