Tuesday, November 24, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - A Newport Christmas Wedding; Shelley Noble


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. 


William Morrow-2015


CHAPTER 1

" MERI CALDER-HOLLIS SOON to be Meri Calder-Hollis Corrigan, stood on an antique wooden washtub in the middle of her grandmother's living room.  The tub had seen many incarnations.  First as the receptacle for Saturday wash days, then as a bed for several litters of puppies, kittens, and once a wounded fox.

For several summers it held geraniums by the front door, ice for the church picnic, and even borrowed for a photo shoot for a brochure of one of the mansions Meri was restoring at the time.  Today it was covered with a white sheet and served as a platform for the hemming of her wedding dress."

What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?



28 comments:

  1. I love things that have many uses, like that washtub...sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and the Newport, RI setting is a real plus for me as well.

      Delete
  2. I love the scene your opening sets. I can just imagine all that tub has seen. I hope you enjoy your book, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a sweet Christmas story that I'd enjoy.
    Thank you for hosting today and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An evocative opening this week Diane - sounds intriguing and I would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a sweet opening paragraph. I love how the author used the history that of the washtub to set the scene. Hope the rest of the book is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't started it but maybe Friday after all the company is gone:)

      Delete
  6. She's going to have a real mouthful of a name. Love the washtub. I grew up with one that was similarly multipurposed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great imagery but can't do Christmas before thanksgiving so probably wouldn't read right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so in the mood for Christmas stories so I would keep reading. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and we haven't even had a snowfall yet here in New England LOL

      Delete
  9. I'd keep reading. Sounds like a bit of nostalgia, which I'd probably like. And I'm in the mood for Christmas themed stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first paragraph of this one grabbed me. And I am in the mood for Christmas reading too. We won't decorate much, so a Christmas mug and Christmas book will get me in the spirit. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, First time joining in for me. That's a interesting teaser -- lots of elements I like: Chtistmas, design, antiques. I'd keep reading if only to get a clearer picture of this washstand. Here's my Teaser Tuesday and First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Intro: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-12n

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a charming read, especially for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That one probably isn't for me but the intro was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like novellas with a Christmas theme. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too, Nise. Novellas are perfect for this busy time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.